Monday, August 02, 2010

And I'm off


I e-mailed a friend of mine, Stephen Wright, a week and a half ago with a birthday offering: a run, his pace, short distance. When he accepted the offer, he didn't realize what he was getting himself into: the FIRST run in a long series of runs to train for the New York City Marathon. Today was the day he took me up on the offer, and as with most 3.5-5 mile runs, there wasn't anything momentus about it...other than it was the FIRST run in a long series of runs to train for the New York City Marathon. We did the typical Aquatic Park-to-Chrissy Field-out-and-back loop, added a few hills and staircases, and ended with a cool down. It had been awhile both since we ran together and since I ran that course. He swears it's because I beat him in the US Half a few weeks ago. I think it's golf.


Either way, when we parted ways, I was glad to finally start a training season with another person. Just like I was glad when Eva Cassidy's version of Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" came on as I ran home. I felt that way throughout the day today as I have seen support come in. Wow - more than $1,000 raised in one day. I am truly blessed to have this network of family and friends and colleagues and send a special shout out to the following folks for their contributions thus far:


  • Eric and Erika Edelson

  • Lori and Tristan Wilhelm

  • Emily Bobel

  • Masharika Maddison

  • Acasia Feinberg

  • Jonathan Dobson

  • Mark Palchak

  • Joe James

  • Adeel Iqbal

  • Jennifer Kuhr

  • Jessica Stewart

  • Abbas Hasan

  • Jennifer Shine-Figured

  • Dana Gottheim

  • Claudia Lewis

  • Cameron Duffy

  • Guadalupe Tofalo

  • Giselle Schmidtz

  • James Choe

  • James Orr

  • Denice Leong

  • Cara Volpe

  • Rishi Patel

  • Tania Gutierrez

  • Emily Schaffer

And of course, thanks to Stephen for taking the first steps toward New York City with me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home